Slow carb diet is not another popular diet that had bombarded the media and fitness world rather it is classified as healthy way of eating. In order for it to be successful, it requires lifestyle change though it will not require you to have exercise regimen. However, it will be better if you can add simple exercise to slow carb diet for good results.
The principle behind slow carb diet is low glycemic index. Foods that have low glycemic index, breaks down sugar very slowly. It keeps the sugar levels on your body on a constant level all through the day.
Following the slow carb diet does not require that you count every calorie that you take. The simple principles of this diet are:
- Make your foods simple and eating them on four to five smaller meals each day instead of three major meals. Spread your meals by adding two small snacks in between three major meals.
- Avoid binge eating instead spread your meals throughout the day. This will avoid sudden increase of glucose that may not be good for your system.
- Eat foods that are rich in proteins like poultry, fish, eggs and leans meats. Munch on any veggies as your snacks but avoid potatoes. Also include legumes such as beans, peas and nuts.
- This diet also allows use of healthy fats like fish oil, olive oil, flax seed.
- Cut white carbohydrates in your diet. Avoid eating white rice, white bread and even white cereals. Whole grain breads and cereals should also be taken sparingly since they contain high fructose.
- Avoid drinking beer since beers are considered white. Excessive consumption of beer may result to bothersome beer belly.
- Avoid drinking full cream milks since it will easily make your body gain more fats. Non-fat milk is better alternative.
- Avoid eating any type of junk foods, soft drinks and sodas. The best for your body is to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water to help you flush out any fats and cholesterol build up in your system.
- It is best if you prepare your foods at home. This will reduce the possibility that you will be tempted to eat more than you should. However, if dining out is unavoidable, choose Mexican restaurants. You may order meals with chicken or beef and go for veggies instead of rice.
- Stock your fridge with black beans, white beans and frozen veggies. In case you feel hungry, you may snack on them instead of junk foods.
- The benefit of this diet is that it allows you to have cheat day. One cheat day per week is recommended. In your cheat day, you may eat anything that you had avoided. One cheat day will keep your metabolic rate normal thus increasing further your fat loss.
Exercise is not required in slow carb diet but achieving your ideal weight will be easier if you combine your slow carb diet along with exercise. A routine walk around the block will help you lose more fats easily.